another wander. This time on the trike. I was,obviously,mid lurch when I took this picture !
The leaves are starting to crisp and fall. I really like autumn,but dread the coming winter. Is it an age thing ? I suppose that as I feel less sure footed,and the cold makes my joints ache,winter holds little appeal. I do love Christmas and the timely,as in not too soon,build up to the festivities.
Talking of festivities,Oliver had a second birthday party on saturday. As his birthday is at the end of august,toward the end of the summer holidays,it's not very successful trying to have a big party then. He was desperate for a football [soccer to you philistines !] party again this year,so we decided to postpone it until now. He had a great time.
Some of the time was spent in goal.
Excuse the poor picture quality. Despite lighting and the flash it was impossible to take a decent photo in the indoor pitch.
Cake,balloons and friends were involved.
I started Mim's beautiful Seraphim shawl,in Handmaiden's Angel Hair. Which is very thin. How thin ? This thin !!!
Very soft,very finely spun,kid mohair,barely contained by a fine nylon thread. If you love Rowan's KidSilk Haze but want some colour [and a few more metres for your �] you'll love this stuff. It's a sickness ! I need new glasses. That,or my head examined !
Beginnings. Always thrilling !
Autumn brings on the need to knit shawls in me. I bought two colours of this stuff. Renaissance,which I'm knitting now. It makes me think of cafe and shop lights reflected in the deep,dark lagoon in Venice. Humour me ! My favourite colour is Vintage [on the left in the pic below],my other purchase. I have great plans for that.
Knit on,and all that !
*** I almost forgot : Secret Pal 9 ,the Q & A . In the extended entry,for those who need to know.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I am a yarn snob ! Wool,alpaca,cashmere,silk. All lovely. Cotton hurts my hands and I really dislike knitting with acrylic. it irritates my teeth to knit it ! Really !
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Fabric rolls and a purpose made circular needle case.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
28 years. Self taught. Advanced.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Good chocolate. I'm a hedonist !
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have years & years worth of music,an extremely eclectic selection,on my iPod.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Rich,dark jewel tones. Black. I love purple and the colour of a good merlot.
Really dislike beige,taupe,ochre,yellow,orange and brown [except in fleece] and sludgy greens,except in nature. To knit or wear? No,no,no !
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married,one son. No pets.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
No ponchos or hats.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
13. What are you knitting right now?
Active projects are currently socks,numerous,and a shawl.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
That's a loaded question ! That rather depends ...
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular. Ebony,then rosewood. For socks double pointed needles.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Very old !
18. What is your favorite holiday?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn,books,both knitting and not,music,general clutter.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Dying ? No ! Surprise me. Just don't send Rowan :0)
Knitting [and other] mag subs : Rowan,Interweave Knits,Piecework and SpinOff [most favourite mag ever !].
I used to get Knitters but it's been a waste of money for ages in my opinion !
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Very much so.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)